How do you rally your carriers around your freight tender?
For many, shippers and carriers alike, freight tenders are a necessary evil, yet one has to put in full effort to get satisfying results. Often this does not happen and tenders are not complete, are stretched out for too long and carriers decline to take part.
How can you change this? Here are 5 tips to rally your carriers around your freight tender.
1. Be empathetic, transport sales is often die-hard commodity selling and sales and account managers get beat up on price all the time, not too much fun.
2. Make your tender as easy as possible for carriers, make it simple, give full info and use a generic set-up.
3. Don’t invite a sea of carriers, invite the right carriers and communicate with them before, during and after the tender. Better to have fewer carriers in your tender but more engaged.
4. Don’t force carriers too much out of their comfort zone. Don’t use outdated tender templates or generic sourcing tools but rather a freight sourcing platform or a consultant who knows how to deal with the data and carriers.
5. Last but not least, check carrier contact details before you just sent out invites, many may not end up with the carrier at all as e-mails have changed or people left the company.
Good luck with your freight tenders in 2020!